Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Snowshoeing Mitchell Creek Canyon

date: 02/06/2012
activity: snowshoeing
distance: 1.5 miles
time: 45 minutes

A rare Monday off work (for an apartment renovation) allowed me to try out a new, albeit short, snowshoe hike. I did not know exactly what to expect from a trail stemming from a suburban neighborhood. Initially, I walked a paved concrete trail holding the snowshoes in my hand. Thankfully, I found a side trail that required the use of snowshoes due to the 19" of snow Castle Rock just received.

The trail showed some of Castle Rock's scenic ecology and geography. The scenery is nearly the same as the nearby Castlewood Canyon State Park, without the $7 entry fee. The trail hugs the side of the canyon and with the recent snow showed off some massive icicles hanging from the small caves. I stopped at one of the caves, one without dangling overhead icicles, for some beef jerky and hot tea from the thermos. This is the point I turned around and headed back to the truck. The trail seemed to go on much further and is one I will view again when the ice and snow receeds.

Enjoy some pictures...



Icicles hanging from a small cave:

Bridge along trail:

Views of surrounding canyon:





Mitchell Creek Canyon


Find the best hikes in Colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment